8/21/08

Martin Luther Quote 3


Here is the third Martin Luther quote. “The fewer the words, the better the prayer.”I am not good at prayer. I read my Bible and study a ton, but I find it hard to stop and be meditative, and speak my thoughts to God for a protracted period of time. I know people who pray all the time and they make it sound so easy. So, I like this quote by Luther and I also found it fully supported in Scripture.

The Psalms are the personal, private, and public prayers and thoughts of the people of God. They are mostly short, honest,and to the point. Like Psalm 12:7
"O LORD, you will keep us safe"and Psalms 120:2 Save me, O LORD, from lying lips and deceitful tongues. Then Psa 69:29 But as for me--poor and in pain--let Your salvation protect me, God. You get the point, honest speech to God.

Then Jesus was asked by his followers how to pray (Luke 11:1) and He gave them Lord's Prayer (Matt 6:9-13) . I just prayed that prayer it and took 25 seconds. Now, yes stopping and thinking on each part would take longer, but my point is that prayer does not have to long, eloquent, and complicated, just communication of all our various emotions to our creator and sustainer. Remeber Paul told us to in 1 The 5:17 "Pray Constantly"

Make it a goal to try that today, be mindful of God in everything that you do.

Pastor Phillip

2 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Phillip, you should put a hit counter on here. It is cool to see just how many folks check out your blog.

  2. Pastor Phillip Howle said...

    I might be depressed!