9/11/08

To Drink Or Not To Drink...


My old Seminary president, Dr. Danny Akin, tackles the question alcohol consumption by Christians very skillfully. He writes a two part series on the issue that can be read at the Between The Time Blog. There are links to both parts below.

Part One

Part Two

He argues that we need to ask a series of questions to determine the rightness or wrongness of drinking. Also these questions could also work for tobacco use or many other "gray areas" of the Christian life.

1). Will this action be helpful to me? (1 Corinthians 6:12; 10:23)

2). Will this action potentially enslave me? (1 Corinthians 6:12)

3). Will this action encourage my brother or sister in Christ? (1 Corinthians 8:13; 10:24, 32)

4). Will this help or hinder my gospel witness? (1 Corinthians 9:12, 19-13; 10:32-33)

5). Is this action consistent with my life in Christ? (1 Corinthians 6:9-11, 19)

6). Will this action violate my conscience? (I Corinthians 10:25-29)

7). Will this action follow the pattern of the life of Jesus? (1 Corinthians 11:1)

8). Will this action show love to others? (1 Corinthians 13:1-13)

9). Will this action honor my body which belongs to God? (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

10). Will this action glorify God? (1 Corinthians 10:31)

Going to pop the top on a diet Mountain Dew, Pastor Phillip

Also, for what it is worth, I agree with the conclusions that Dr. Akin makes

1 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Good points. We in the ministry (MYSELF CHEIF AMONG THEM) should also ask that question of food. The thing I find comical is that a morbidly obese pastor will have no problem condemning alcohol, etc. Plank, eye???? I enjoy you blog. Keep at it.