12/5/08

Book Of The Week.


I finished reading and am actually rereading Tim Keller’s “The Reason For God.” Some books that attempt to show the validity of the Christian faith are deeply philosophical and rough reading. But, Keeler is warm, humble, engaging, and thoughtful, the book is just amazingly well written. The chapters are short enough to engage you each page, but leaving you thinking and wishing for more. You really owe it to your self to check out this book. He deals with the exclusivity of Christianity, evil and suffering, the Bible and science, morality, and the theme through of the book is the centrality of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Here are some great quotes from the book.


“The Christian gospel is that I am so flawed that Jesus had to die for me, yet I am so loved and valued that Jesus was glad to die for me. This leads to deep humility and deep confidence at the same time. It undermines both swaggering and sniveling. I cannot feel superior to anyone, and yet I have nothing to prove to anyone. I do not think more of myself nor less of myself. Instead, I think of myself less.”


“Christianity alone among the world religions claims that God became uniquely and fully human in Jesus Christ and therefore knows firsthand despair, rejection, loneliness, poverty, bereavement, torture, and imprisonment. On the cross he went beyond even the worst human suffering and experienced cosmic rejection and pain that exceeds ours as infinitely as his knowledge and power exceeds ours. In his death, God suffers in love, identifying with the abandoned and godforsaken. Why did he do it? The Bible says that Jesus came on a rescue mission for creation. He had to pay for our sins so that someday he can end evil and suffering without ending us.”


“The Bible’s purpose is not so much to show you how to live a good life. The Bible’s purpose is to show you how God’s grace breaks into your life against your will and saves you from the sin and brokenness otherwise you would never be able to overcome… religion is ‘if you obey, then you will be accepted’. But the Gospel is, ‘if you are absolutely accepted, and sure you’re accepted, only then will you ever begin to obey’. Those are two utterly different things. Every page of the Bible shows the difference.”


Buy the book! One of the best I have read all year! Pastor Phillip

1 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    those quotes you listed are well written indeed.

    give me a call sometime through December, we need to have a Boar's Head social gathering.