7/31/08

Discouraged Pastors

I have been feeling a little discouraged as of late. It happens to all of us from time and preachers are not excused from it. It seems sometimes that Satan is just on your back and pushing you down. I wondered if I was the only preacher who ever felt this way. I came across this today and I was comforted that I am not the only one, but also frightened to see the damage pastoral ministry can have ones life and family

Darrin Patrick, pastor of The Journey in St. Louis, in a recent podcast reported on a recent study by Focus on the Family. He reports the following:

  • 1,500 pastors leave the ministry each month due to moral failure, contention in churches, or spiritual burnout.
  • 50 percent of pastors will be divorced by the time they leave the ministry.
  • 80 percent of pastors and 84 percent of spouses feel discouraged or unqualified in their roles as pastors.
  • 50 percent are so discouraged they would leave if they could but have no other way to make a living.
  • one out of five seminary and Bible school grads who enter the ministry will leave it in the first five years after graduation.
  • 80 percent of spouses feel their spouse is over-worked. 80 percent wish their husbands would leave the ministry.
  • 80 percent of pastor’s wives say the most destructive event that ever occurred in their marriage and family was the day they entered ministry.
  • 70 percent of pastors fight depression.
  • 40 percent have had an extramarital affair since starting ministry.
  • 70 percent of pastors say that the only time studying the Word is when they are preparing a sermon.
I ask for your prayers for my family and myself. It as the Apostle Paul said in Eph 6:19 Pray for me also, that I may be given the message when I begin to speak — that I may confidently make known the mystery of the gospel. The fear of failure is strong and the punishment severe. James says in 3:1 Not many should become teachers, my brothers, knowing that we will receive a stricter judgment.

Thank you to all who pray from me and my family and all the encouragement that you give. I will close with the words of the Psalmist 42:5 "Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God-- soon I'll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He's my God."

Trusting In God, Pastor Phillip

1 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Don't be discouraged - never let people get you down - that is how Satan works! In every job you have there are always people who try to make our jobs hard. You are a GREAT PASTOR - keep doing God's work.