8/7/08

Art Monk?

I am not the biggest pro football in the world. So who goes in the hall of fame is of little importance to me actually. But men of God do impress me. Art Monk, who was a wide receiver and whose name I heard before was inducted recently. I was amazed by his sons introduction.

“As his son, there’s always been this question I could never escape, that I could never avoid, that I could never get away from and that was: Do you want to be like Art when you grow up? … My answer is I’d rather be like Dad. Dad, thank you for being the man of God that God has called you to be, and for raising me in the same way. As your best friend, as your admirer, as your biggest fan and as your son, I want to tell the whole world that I love you and I’m truly honored and blessed to induct you into the 2008 Pro Football Hall of Fame.”

I sure pray that one day Cason can say these same words about me (minus the Hall of Fame stuff). His Father Art then added these words as his speech.

“Even now as a Hall of Famer, the one thing I want to make very clear is that my identity and my security is found in the Lord. And what defines me and my validation comes in having accepted his son Jesus Christ as my personal savior. And what defines me is the Word of God, and it’s the Word of God that will continue to shape and mold me into the person that I know he’s called me to be.

“So I’ve learned a long time ago never to put my faith or trust in man, for man will always fail you. Man will always disappoint you. But the Word of God says that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. And He will never fail you.

“And that is what I live by and what I stand on. …

“There’s a scripture that I think about almost every day and I’ve come to personalize it to my life. It says: ‘Lord, who am I that you are mindful of me?’ [Psalm 8:4]. And the Apostle Paul says, ‘Think of what you were when you were called. Not many were wise by human standards. Not many were influential. Not many were born of noble birth’ [1 Corinthians 1:26]. And when I look at my life and how I grew up, I certainly had none of those qualities or benefits.

“But I understand and I know that I’m here not by, in, and of my own strength—but it’s by the grace and the power of God upon my life, who I know gave me favor along the way, and who provided opportunity and room for me to use my gifts.

“So I am very grateful to receive this honor, and I can stand here before you and say, ‘Hey, look at me, look at what I did.’ But if I’m going to boast, I’m going to boast today in the Lord, for it’s because of him that I’m here and I give him thanks and glory and honor for all that he has done for me.”

Great Words, Pastor Phillip

0 comments :