9/30/08

A Christian And The Economy


But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare. Jeremiah 29:7

In the above verse Jeremiah is speaking to God’s people who have been punished, defeated, and sent to live in Exile in the land of the Babylonians. Read my post below this one about Exile to get and idea of what was exile was. But, Babylon was a land of false idols, sensuality, and seduction, for the Israelites. Jeremiah told the people to seek what is best for this city. Don’t hate it and speak bad against it, don’t love it too much and forget God. But, seek what is good for the welfare of all who live their.

So, what does nation’s current economic downturn have to with the plight of Israelites in 586 b.c.? A lot, you see we as Christians living here on earth, trusting in the sacrificial death of Jesus, seeking to lead lives that are pleasing to God, and sharing God’s love with the world, all the while knowing that one day we will go to heaven to be with the Lord. Also, we suffer some of the same temptations of the Israelites. Some of love all that world has to offer way to much. We love money, popularity, you name we love it! Others of us resign themselves to simply say “I’m going to heaven I don’t care what goes on here.” Both wrong in opposite directions.

But, we as believers should be seeking the good of world, and particularly the nation that we live in. This means we should desire a good economy for out country. A good economy means that people have jobs and can work. Paul asked the Thessalonians to work with their hands so that they “will not be dependent upon anyone” (1 Thessalonians 4:12).Paul then told the Colossians “Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men (Colossians 3:23).” So, work and jobs are good, because when there is no work laziness and idleness sets in, both bad things. Pro 19:15 says “Laziness induces deep sleep, and a lazy person will go hungry.” Then Pro 12:11 Hard work means prosperity; only fools idle away their time.” I was told “idle hands are Satan’s tools”

So what do we do?

First, we must “Remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth (Deuteronomy 8:18).” Our nation’s ability to prosper comes the gracious hand of God and not simply our own efforts.

Second, don’t poor mouth. We as Christians believe that “The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it (1 Corinthians 10:26).” Also we trust the words of the Psalmist who says “Psa 37:25 I have been young and now I am old, yet I have not seen the righteous abandoned or his children begging bread.” When we poor mouth we are saying to anyone who hears us, that our God can’t provide.

Third, seek to be an example of having your financial affairs in order. Proverbs 21:20 says “In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has.” Quit blowing money, save, put back and be an example. Show a lost world that you are like Paul who said “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:11-13)

Fourth, don’t stop giving. The temptation for many Christians will be hold on to their money, and stop giving to God. But you must remember the words of Proverbs 11:24-25One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.” Paul told the Ephesians as the last words he said to them when he was leaving for JerusalemAnd remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." (Acts 20:35).” There is no greater way of increasing faith and showing tangibly to God how much you trust Him to provide and meet all your needs.

Fifth (probably should be first), you must pray, pray, pray. We have national leaders who are making amazing huge and important decisions that need guidance and wisdom. We can begin to understand all the complex issues that involved in these decisions and these men and women need the direction of the All-Wise God. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, and our congress all need our prayers. Remember 1 Timothy 2:1-4 First of all, then, I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, (2) for kings and all those who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. (3) This is good, and it pleases God our Savior, (4) who wants everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. A stable economy aids in having a quit and tranquil life that frees us from monetary stress to enable us to aid God in seeing all people saved. That is an interesting connection between prayer for leaders and salvation in 1 Tim 2:1-4.

So, what does our economic future hold? I don’t know, God does, God is good, God is wise, and God will carry us through this. Turn to God during these times and pray for your own finances, our churches finances, and for our nation.

Trusting In A Sovereign God, Phillip

2 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    I just lost $2K in one day in my WACHOVIA 403b. But you are so right. God is in control. While I will sometimes joke about the current economy being terrible, I know God is not surprised by it and in fact is allowing it to continue. Maybe he thinks we NEED a depresion (or recession) to bring us to our knees. Maybe we do. Do I want that. . .if I can see him more clearly then maybe I do????

  2. Pastor Phillip Howle said...

    Jeff's comments brought to mind these Scriptures:
    25 Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth.
    26 My flesh and my heart may fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
    27 For, behold, those who are far from You will perish; You have destroyed all those who are unfaithful to You.
    28 But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, That I may tell of all Your works.
    Psalms 73:25-28 (NASB)


    17 Though the fig tree should not blossom And there be no fruit on the vines, Though the yield of the olive should fail And the fields produce no food, Though the flock should be cut off from the fold And there be no cattle in the stalls,
    18 Yet I will exult in the LORD, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.
    19 The Lord GOD is my strength, And He has made my feet like hinds' feet, And makes me walk on my high places. Habakkuk 3:17-19 (NASB)

    Pastor Phillip