9/23/08

Getting Going...

Say a prayer for me! I can't get going. I had a busy weekend with a funeral, teaching, and a bike crash. But, it is Tuesday and it feels like 4 a.m. on a Monday Morning. I try not to complain on my blog, but say a prayer for me.

Paul asked the church at Ephesus to pray in Eph 6:19 "Pray also for me, that the message may be given to me when I open my mouth to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel."

Pray that I will be like Jeremiah who said in Jer 20:9 "If I say: I won't mention Him or speak any longer in His name, His message becomes a fire burning in my heart, shut up in my bones. I become tired of holding it in, and I cannot prevail"
Also, I am going to try and heed the words of Ephesians 5:14 "Get up, sleeper, and rise up from the dead, and the Messiah will shine on you."

Needing the awakening and illuminating light of Christ to shine on me this morning, Pastor Phillip

By the way the video below pretty much shows how I am feeling this morning!

5 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    I will stop now and pray for you. Some days are harder than others. Feeling better today I hope. One of my favorite things to do as I prepare is to apply it to me first. Then I can speak to people from a humble perspective. If I ever have a "fault" in preaching, I hope that I show my fallen-ness and weakness to others. They need to see/hear me struggle with stuff just like they do. After all, we all have issues.

  2. Pastor Phillip Howle said...

    You are right there. I try and use Andy Stanly's "Communicating For A Change" He uses the "me, we, God, you, we" method.You teach them one point!

    ME: First, you have to let the people know how the text has affected or challenged you in your life. Openness and transparency a must!

    YOU: Next, broaden out to let them see why they need to hear the answer their problems as well. Removing barriers from their refusal to accept and implement the message. Cause each listener to see their need in their specific life situations.

    God: What the Bible say to us on the matter.I like one passage to work with. I also go through books of the Bible, and this method is great with it.

    YOU: Specific applications for the people to do. The thought is that now they know that they see their problem, understand God's perspective, and now you tell them what to do about it.

    WE: Imagine life if we all tried to implement this in our life: home, work, church, marriage, family. Draw them into making the changes and the commitments that are needed.

    It is an excellent book. The tips are useful for teaching of all kinds. It allows for the sermon to have narrative flow, as opposed to smaller disjointed sermonettes.

    Thanks for the prayer, I just needed to do some "Prefect Push-Ups" and drink some diet Mtn. Dew!

    Thanks Jeff!

  3. Anonymous said...

    Yeah. I think I have everything he has written.

  4. Anonymous said...

    Phillip,
    Just curious. I am confused about who you are going for in the election????

  5. Pastor Phillip Howle said...

    Very simple, I vote for life. If a man can support the murdering of unborn children, then I cannot support them.

    I have never read any other Andy Stanley books, which of his books would you suggest?