11/16/08

Stupid Preaching...


Being a pastor and working with people who are supposedly Godly can be difficult. I have worked all kinds of jobs and had all kinds of problems with employees and customers and always let roll of my back. But, church folks can be so mean and rude it is really disappointing. I mean these are folks who have been in church their whole lives and they can’t even be civil, polite, kind, or nice. I expect the world to treat people like this, but church folk! Come on! Now, I realize that in passing judgment on church folks who act ungodly, I seem to be implying that I am never ungodly and always treat people right. Now, ask my wife this is not always the case.

But, I guess what hurts the most is that church people hear sermons, sermons that preachers put lots of work, prayer, and dedication into that seemingly fall on death ears week in and week out: it is just kind of depressing. I am reminded and somewhat encouraged by 1 Corinthians 1:21Since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never find him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to save all who believe.” Foolish preaching sounds about right. But as discouraging as it maybe sometimes, it is God’s method of saving the world. Wow, stupid preachers, foolish preaching, and salvation of the world. God seems to have confidence in preaching to bring about eternal change, so if God has never given up on preachers or preaching than neither shall I.

Ephesians 6:18-19 With every prayer and request, pray at all times in the Spirit, and stay alert in this, with all perseverance and intercession for all the saints. (19) Pray also for me, that the message may be given to me when I open my mouth to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel.

Got to get ready to preach tonight! Pastor Phillip

2 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    God knows what is in our heart. He knows what is in the hearts of every member of our churches. So pray for these mean spirited people, and remember there are people in your church that truly love God and appreciate your love of God and your faithfulness to His word. Maybe one day the message will sink in and they will finally realize what God is all about. He loves us and wants us to love all of our neighbors(even those that are just down right hard to love). God knows your heart,He knows their heart and knows you love him. Keep preaching because that is the only way to get these people to see things God's way. Maybe one day the love will take over and the meanness will disappear.

  2. Pastor Phillip Howle said...

    Thanks for the encouragement! It is easy to look at the faults of others, all the while missing the planks in my own eye. Phillip