1/14/09

I am not a cordless drill.


Cordless drills are great. You can use them anywhere and do almost any little job, faster and with less effort: two things I like. But, I have a problem with mine that I never charge the battery. I use it, leave it out until I need it again and it never seems to have enough power to get the job done. The battery is dead, I have two batteries, but two uncharged batteries are equally worthless. In have found that spiritually I am not a cordless drill even through sometimes I try to be one. Let me explain.

Each day I begin with a time of prayer (usually guided by the Psalms or The Valley Of Vision), followed by daily Bible reading and then another time of prayer over the people in our churches directory. It is a great start to my day. But, often from that moment I get going with my business. I find that the "charge" from morning time with God wains quickly, the more I do "my" work. So, some days I try to pray and have another little time with God to "charge"me up again. But, again it drains quickly. So, I am not a cordless drill.

I am finding that I must be continually connected to the source of my strength Jesus Christ. This continually connection comes from trying to foster a minute by minute recognition of my need of Him. Now, I fall short of doing this all the time. But, striving for a continuing connection to God is the essence of what Paul meant when he told us in 1 The 5:17 to "pray constantly" and Jesus in John 15:5 "apart from me you can do nothing."

This also the essence of the great hymn "I need thee every hour"


I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.

I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby;
Temptations lose their power when Thou art nigh.

I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;
Come quickly and abide, or life is in vain.

I need Thee every hour; teach me Thy will;
And Thy rich promises in me fulfill.

I need Thee every hour, most Holy One;
O make me Thine indeed, Thou blessèd Son.

I need Thee, O I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee;
O bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.
So, plug in, stay connected, and do great things for God in all your endeavors today. Pastor Phillip

0 comments :