8/14/08

Getting What You Have Not Worked For!


I have worked a tons of different jobs in life. Many of them were related to food service, serving, cooking, and washing dishes. I have also worked for a week as color blind electrician (you can figure out how well that worked). I was also involved in high fashion working at "The Fashion Shack" and "Oops" (both sold over runs and damaged clothes). Let's see, I worked at Fuji Film, Velux, and as a carpet and upholstery cleaner (you don't want to know how nasty your sofa is). All these jobs had one thing in common, I got paid. I earned a check. I did my job and received what I deserved. Now, we have this mentality about much in life. We always want what we think we deserve, of course many people in our nation think they deserve the world, while doing nothing to earn anything , but I will digress .

You see the beauty of God is that He runs contra to what we think an expect. We think we have to work, do right, come to church, all in an effort to be saved. But, remember the folks that fussed at the most were those who thought and tried to live this way, the Pharisee's. I was reading Romans 4 as a part of my daily reading plan this morning and I read this in Romans 4:2-3 If Abraham was justified by works, then he has something to brag about--but not before God. (3) For what does the Scripture say? Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him for righteousness.

See Abraham was not saved, because he was a good man, he was saved because he believed God. God spoke and Abraham believed. Now we know for more than Abraham did; God has spoken to us as well. The of Hebrews tells us in 1:1-2 Long ago God spoke to the fathers by the prophets at different times and in different ways. (2) In these last days, He has spoken to us by His Son... Jesus speaks to us, calls us to see our inability to please God or live perfectly as to merit heaven, so Jesus says what you can't do, I did for you. Jesus says accept that and believe that and it will "credited" to you. That word credited, this is a financial term, and means "put to your account." The righteousness and holiness of Jesus is placed in your account freely when you believe. We don't have to live our life as debtors to God (as if God holds our salvation as tool to extract good behavior, like a carrot in front of a mule) , but we should live our lives in radical thanks and gratitude to God for the gift He gives to all who believe. Should this lead to a changed life, yes, morals, church attendance, yes, but if all flows from a deep seated and not a fear of failure. Walk in that grace and in the richness of God's credit you your account!

Enjoying The Fact I Don't Have To Get Puke Out Carpet Anymore For A Living, Pastor Phillip

0 comments :